Sunday, April 1, 2012

Butterick 5557. My Mad Men Dress

Over at Julia Bobbin,  you'll find lots of ladies who are crazy about Mad Men. She hosted a SewAlong, and, yes, I participated. Just today, I put the finishing touches on my Joanie inspiration dress. I haven't emailed my photo to Julia yet, so until then, I'll share some background of my dress and some photos of my finished project.

I was inspired by the incredible florals that were seen throughout the first four seasons...representing a femininity and softness in such a man's world.




So, while Joanie didn't often wear florals...just for special occasions like a dinner party with Greg's boss or for the Cleo's, I was blown away when Season 5 was getting amped up and I saw this Joan :


And in the Season Five premier, we saw this Joan:


And I was hooked. (Check out the piped scoop neck of the pink dress, and the beaded sleeve edges of both dresses.)  Of course, it doesn't hurt that these ladies were years ahead of their time, right?  Because what exactly is hot this 2012 Spring?

Florals! Bold, wonderful florals!


In everything from dresses and skirts to jeans and jackets.  I selected my fabric, which is a charmeuse. But  you know how charmeuse can be so shiny sometimes? But it was this back side of this bold floral that I was in love with.


My pattern was Butterick 5557, from their Retro line. A copy of a 1955 pattern. This pattern is a two piece, but I knew it would work better for me...giving me a few more curves with that wonderful peplum-ish  top.



In addition to changing the neckline to a scoop neck and adding piping to the neck edge



I also added some beading trim to the sleeve hems. By layering two different beaded trims, I created a custom trim to add to the sleeve. I simply sewed them together the two along the ribbon using my zipper foot.



So here she is:


My tribute to Joan Holloway.


Now I just need a special occasion!



26 comments:

  1. This is beyond fabulous. It's a perfect combination of pattern, fabric and trim. You look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You look fantastic. The dress is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, you have created a beautiful masterpiece! The color is perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynne, your dress is fabulous and you look fabulous. Great job with the interpretation and the beading is a perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Über glam! You've hit the sweet spot where it's clearly Joan but not costumey at all. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! Looks amazing! You are so talented :) Hope you get that special occasion soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and your hubby can go out on the town for the special occ! WOWZA .. I love what your created and adore the fabric.

    What kind of cocktail is in your hand Missy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be water on ice with a splash of cranberry juice!

      Delete
  8. I like the floral inspiration and the vintage glamour. You have got a nice outfit as well. Very pretty floral print and nice colors as well!

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool dress! I love the way you interpreted the inspiration dresses, and it fits you so well! You look super-glam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool dress! I love the way you interpreted the inspiration dresses, and it fits you so well! You look super-glam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just beautiful! I think the beaded trim on the sleeves is my favorite detail, but I love that you used the matte side of the charmeuse too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowser! You look utterly fabulous LynneB! Gorgeous fabric and a gorgeous interpretation of your inspiration ... I love it! Have you entered the vintage dress contest?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This turned out beautifully! I love the bead fringe and the print!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your interpretation and the details-- the rounded, piped neckline and beaded trim-- impress me to no end. The peplum top was a great choice and fits you beautifully. I want to make more MM-inspired frocks, but they do seem to require special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that is just stunning! I love how you modified the pattern to get the look that you wanted and added the two different pieces of trim. What a great interpretation of the Mad Men style!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! Look at you. Don't you look splendid. Love, love the outfit. You did an outstanding job of making it. The piping and the trim make it unique.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you. look. AMAZING. wowowoowowoww I'm going back to read the post properly now

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look fantastic! I am about to attempt this in a cranberry light weight wool. Wish me luck! (Especially since I live in Florida.....what am I thinking? At least I travel on business to cold climates.)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Let's talk!